Wednesday, November 30, 2005

2006 food for the heart, soul, and mind


[Editted since originally posted; more about how I chose the books will be added later, and probably more titles too! I have a daughter to go pick up tomorrow, so time is short right now!]


Now is the time to start thinking, planning, gathering, and preparing for your reading and self-education in 2006. You know, if you aim at nothing, you will hit it everytime.


January 1 will be here in, what?, 31 days!

I have been planning my reading for several years, and it has made a world of difference even though I'm never without a book in hand. A plan, a system---flipping around what Alexander Pope said, I say "Without a plan, you have a mighty maze."

We need a variety of selections.....
---for our hearts, some inspiration, some fluff, some brain candy;
---for our souls, some constancy, some daily reads;
---for our intellects, some meat.

My list is growing, just like my plate can grow in a cafeteria line. My eyes are always bigger than.....

Please share what is on your list. Maybe this will help get you started.

On mine:

the complete Bible (following the OT/NT plan at Back to the Bible site)
The Cost of Discipleship (Bonhoeffer)
Billy Graham's Just As I Am (Graham)
Joni & The God I Love (Eareckson Tada)
The Book of God: The Bible as a Novel (Wangerin)
To the Last Man (Shaara)
The Dante Club (Pearl)
How the Irish Saved Civilization (Cahill)
A Walk Across America (Jenkins)
Pilgrim's Progress (Bunyan)
Moby Dick (Melville)
Country Days (Taylor)
Nine Mile Bridge (Hamlin)
A Parcel of Patterns (Walsh)
Master and Commander & Post Captain (O'Brian)
A Place to Stand (Veith)
Two Years Before the Mast (Dana)
The Intellectual Life (Sertillanges)
Recalling Education (Curtler)
Climbing Parnassus (Simmons)
selections from A Handbook of Nature Study (Comstock)
Realms of Gold (Ryken)
Brave Companions (McCullough)
Church History in Plain Language (Shelley)
A Year with C. S. Lewis (C. S. Lewis)
The One Year Book of Christian History (Rusten)
Cultural Literacy (again) (Hirsch)
The Chronicles of Narnia (again)(Lewis)
Joy at Work (Bakke)
several of R. C. Sproul's books
juvenile selections that I missed as a youngster
Landmarks not read


6 comments:

sparrow said...

This is a great idea. I am going to be thinking about this a lot. Thanks!

Sherry said...

Nice list. Could you share what some of these are about, why they're on your list? I'm not familiar with THe Last Man, The Dante Club, Country Days, Nine Mile Bridge, Recalling Education, Realms of Gold. Authors? I keep an ever-growing list, and I might want to add some of these.
I think you'll really enjoy A Walk Across America and Parcel of Patterns.

Seasonal Soundings said...

Sherry---I'll flesh out these books in the next week or so. I'm inspired by your lists!

Sparrow---Please share your list as it accumulates!

Carol in Oregon said...

Janie, you nurture my love for good reading. I have a shelf in my bedroom with books waiting to be read. I **love**, triple-love book lists!

Carrie said...

A Year With C. S. Lewis is on my list, too - which I haven't posted yet. Trying to get to it soon, but I find to many good blogs to read!

Julana said...

I just skimmed Joni's The God I Love, and it was great. I plan to go back and read it more closely soon.