Monday, November 28, 2005

A little discovery


I've made a little discovery. Perhaps you already know this, but it's new to me.

I like the pleasing aroma of candles in the wintertime. But I don't like it when I spend
$5 on a candle that fails to waft its aroma throughout the house.

This happened to me last week. I picked up a hefty cinnamon-scented candle in a glass jar at the store. Since it smelled strongly at the time, I thought it would be a winner.
Not. I could hardly smell it as it burned on top of the kitchen woodstove.

The stove was not burning at the time, but the next day, I started a fire in it and left the disappointing candle unlit at the back of the stove. In a bit, the whole house smelled like cinnamon.

The trick? The heat from the stove melted the entire candle, allowing a much stronger scent than a burning wick gives.
And the candle doesn't burn up.

I'd say that scented oil in a mason jar would work the same way.

1 comment:

An American Friend said...

Someone shared your site with me to share in your rejoicing in Emily's homecoming. I couldn't stop reading!
I also have a candle that I keep on top of my stove. I discovered, by accident, that the heat from the oven melted the wax everytime I baked and the whole house smelt like cinnamon. I've had it there for several months now, atleast since the beginning of Summer. Still smells strong and still 3/4 full. I'll even set it on top of the smaller toaster oven when something's cookin in that, just to fill the house with fresh cinnamon.
Your blog site is truly inspirational and I'm so happy it was shared with me.
Roosevelt, what a leader!