Thursday, December 15, 2005

Nineteenth Day of Advent





The birds fill the feeders today as the sleet pours down around them.
As I listen to
Christmas with The von Trapp Children, I smile when "Carol of the Birds" is sung. This Spanish carol, with lyrics below, is perfect for today.






Upon this holy night, When God's star appears, And floods the earth with brightness, Birds' voices rise in song, And, warbling all night long, Express their glad hearts' lightness. Birds' boices rise in song, And, warbling all night long, Express their glad heart's lightness.

The Nightingale is first To bring his son of cheer, And tell us of his gladness: "Jesus, our Lord, is born To free us from all sin, And banish ev'ry sadness! Jesus, our Lord, is born To free us from all sin, And banish ev'ry sadness!"

The answ'ring Sparrow cries: "God comes to earth this day Amid the angels flying." Trilling in sweetest tones, The Finch his Lord now owns: "To Him be all thanksgiving." Trilling in sweetest tones, The Finch his Lord now owns: "To Him be all thanksgiving."

The Partridge adds his note: "To Bethlehem I'll fly, Where in the stall He'l lying. There, near the manger blest, I'll build myself a nest, And sing my love undying. There, near the manger blest, I'll build myself a nest, And sing my love undying."

1 comment:

Donna Boucher said...

What a happy crew of birds you have there!

I'll bet they keep you company!

Donna