Saturday, February 11, 2006

C. S. Lewis this morning

"Really great moral teachers never do introduce new moralities:
it is quacks and cranks who do that.
As Dr. Johnson said,
'People need to be reminded more often that they need to be instructed.'
The real job of every moral teacher is to keep on bringing us back,
time after time,
to the old simple principles which we are all so anxious not to see;
like bringing a horse back and back to the fence it has refused to jump
or bringing a child back and back to the bit in its lesson that it wants to shirk."



"It is just no good asking God to make us happy in our own way
without bothering about religion.
God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself,
because it is not there.
There is no such thing."

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I've been reading "A Year with C.S. Lewis" this year, too, and enjoying it so much. My only problem is that my husband bought it for me in e-book form, and a few weeks ago my Palm died. My wonderful husband bought me a new one with part of our treasured tax return, it came Tuesday, I spent Tuesday night catching up on all the days of Lewis I missed, and then the new Palm died yesterday. I have to send it in for repair and probably won't have it back for two weeks! In the meantime, I have to get my techie husband to show me how I can read my e-book on the computer.

Anonymous said...

Great quote; thanks! Denise