Monday, February 06, 2006

Dante in the morning, Dante Club in the evening




I started reading The Dante Club at night. So far, it has not gripped me the way I thought it would, but I'm plodding through it.

Since I was ready to start a new Teaching Company course and since I had the Dante one already, I listen to it while I walk every morning. The lectures are full of good stuff I want to write down so I do not forget. But I can't walk and write. I've tried it. Either I cannot read what I wrote later, or I cannot keep my eyes watching out for cars or the dog who has the tendency to come to abrupt halt right in front of me. She's sent me tumbling beside the road before. Not fun. And it looks ridiculous. Something worthy of the $10,000 prize on America's Funny Video.

I just laid out Pinsky's translation of Dante and the audiotapes to stick in and listen to throughout the day. Though The Dante Club's author, Matthew Pearl, centers his plot around Longfellow translating the Inferno, I still prefer Pinsky.

Good stuff.

2 comments:

Jeff Miller said...

Dorothy Sayers learned Italian in her fifties for the expressed purpose of translating Dante. It's on my list, but probably for '07 or '08.

Seasonal Soundings said...

Hey, I like your list--several years in advance!

I'll tell ya, Jeff, Dorothy Sayers was a mighty woman! I'll be 50 this year, and I can about assure the fact that I'll not learn a foreign language, much less translate anything! She sure is an inspiration though.

I was listening to Pinskey's Canto 1 this morning, twice in fact, (and this is not the first time I've read/listened) and was in awe over the many, many messages contained within those few lines. Maybe I see (or look for) more in them than intended, but it seems like there is a plethora of Christian overtones.

Like I said, good stuff.
Great stuff!