Saturday, February 25, 2006

Evil bugs in the house



What happens every time I deep-clean the three bathrooms in our house?
Well, for the past ten days (Thurs / Sat / Tues / Sat), as soon as everything is cleaned well and I walk out, in runs a member of the family and obliterates my tedious cleaning job.

Yes, for the past ten days, a sickness like unto the plague according to certain 6 foot boys has invaded our space. It all began with the husband/father. A few of those evil bugs hopped off him onto me to make their presence known 2 1/2 days later. Then onto Emily in exactly 2 1/2 days. I thought maybe the boys had it avoided. They did not get sick in 2 1/2 days. In fact, I had it figured out that if they made it through Friday, they might avoid this gut-wretching virus. But I guess they got long-surviving bugs. They both succumbed this morning.

These last ten days confirmed to me again why I do not belong in patient-care nursing. I am useless because the sounds and the smells overtake me and I become the patient all over again, if you know what I mean. The only thing I'm good for is a deck-swabber. But only after sufficient recovery and lots of open windows and Lysol spray.

Whatever this potent intestinal virus is, it is short-lived while at the same time making you think you will be the short-liver. Typical intestinal effects both ways, fever, chills, headache, and body ache that you're sure King Kong gave you. It's all over in 12 hours, the first six being the worst.

Abdicating to the beach sounds enticing.

3 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

I'm sorry to hear you have a housefull of sickies :o(

Emma continues to be ill...
Katie had a fever yesterday but I think she may have been able to fight it off. I keep waiting for the other shoes to drop...

(I did take Emma to the Dr. today and she is neg. for strep...so it's just some sort of virus.)

Strange one. Fever, chills, headache...now coughing and sore throat. No upset tummy at all. It's a weird one.

Be well!

Circle of Quiet said...

Oh, dear kindred spirit,

For years, my husband joked that I wouldn't let the children vomit unless he was home. Sometime in the last five years, they gave up that commitment and have vomited on my shift a few times. Oh, it is so hard on me.

Take care, and may your big guys feel better very, very soon.

Diane

PerkyNurse said...

Hard to believe you used to be a nurse!