Monday, February 13, 2006

From Sarah Edwards this morning...

Sarah Edwards must have been a remarkable woman. If I only had her fortitude.

Sarah was Jonathan Edwards’ wife, the other half of what she called “an uncommon union.” (Jonathan and Sarah: An Uncommon Union--is now on my books-to-read list.)

After the Edwards’ son-in-law Aaron Burr, Sr. who was president of Princeton, died, Jonathan was made president succeeding Burr. Within the month following his installation, Edwards’ decided to be inoculated against smallpox as did Esther, his recently widowed daughter.

To Esther, Sarah wrote,

“What shall I say? A holy and good God has covered us with a dark cloud. O that we may kiss the rod, and lay our hands on our mouths! The Lord has done it. He has made me adore his goodness, that we had him so long. But my God lives, and he has my heart. O what a legacy my husband, and your father, has left us! We are all given to God, and there I am, and love to be.”
Esther also died days later from the same botched inoculation.

Sarah Edwards—what a woman.

2 comments:

sparrow said...

I've been wanting to read that book. She does sound amazing. That brought tears to my eyes to see such trust in the Lord.

Happy Valentine's Day!

RANDI said...

I have been reading "Marriage to a Difficult Man" which is about their marriage as well. It is very interesting and I have found that Mrs Edwards was a truly amazing woman, wife and mother! Her example is one that I admire a great deal!

Happy Valentine's Day!