Thursday, February 02, 2006

Kind and gentle reading




After a booktalk thread on WTM, I was drawn to two books by title only. The titles, Parnassus on Wheels and The Haunted Bookshop, were what lured me. I've always been lured to books by their covers. This time it was by their titles.

Speaking of covers, the cover picture on Parnassus on Wheels baffles me. I understand the wheel; it's the rest I don't get. A mixture of people in what looks like cranberry sauce (actually, afterbirth is what really came to mind). Then there is this bloody red sky-like. Confusing.

Anyway, Parnassus on Wheels is more like a short story. But a short story that I did not want to end. The story has stayed on my mind since finishing. It was kind and gentle. It was nostalgic. The adventures contained with the little book will remain in my memory for a long time. It is a book that I can see myself re-reading. And I usually don't re-read books.

Throughout the book, one of character-Roger's favorite lines was "By the bones of ____!" The ones I remember that filled the blank are Polycarp, Piers Plowman, and Swinburne. I really don't think these were random authors/works; I think these names were strategically placed. Maybe they were analogous to the conversation at hand. One day I'll have to go back and look which will prompt a re-read.

I'm saving The Haunted Bookshop for a special time.

Hmmmm......(thoughts trailing back to bookloving characters Andrew, Roger, and Helen, and Bock, Parnassus, and Pegasus).....

2 comments:

Circle of Quiet said...

I can't tell you how delighted I am that these books are in my library system. I have a commitment to not purchase any books for February...it is only the second and I am amazed that I have already had six temptations to break my vow (-:

Many thanks for the recommendation,
Diane

Circle of Quiet said...

I've read Parnassus on Wheels...and the first 45 pages of the next. Such great stories.

Thanks, again, for the recommendation.