Saturday, February 11, 2006

A remarkable young woman



After reading about Lady Jane Grey this morning (partial quotes below), I remembered a book on my shelf that I've not read. Coronation of Glory was pulled down and moved to the must-read shelf. What a remarkably mature young woman. At her sixteen years, the maturity of Lady Jane Grey surpasses mine at almost-fifty years.

"Whatsoever I do else but learning is full of grief, trouble, fear, and wholly misliking unto me."

To the abbot who told her how sorry he was that she was convicted of treason and sentenced to death just nine days after unwillingly being crowned queen, Lady Jane Grey said, "True it is that we shall never meet, except God turn your heart, for you are in an evil case. And I pray God to send you his Holy Spirit; for he hath given you his great gift of utterance, if it pleased him also to open the eyese of your heart."

From the scaffold of death, Lady Jane Grey turns to the people, "Good people, I pray you all to bear me witness that I die a true Christian woman, and that I look to be saved by no other means but the mercy of God in the blood of his only Son, Jesus Christ."

~~Lady Jane Grey, age sixteen, queen for nine days~~

1 comment:

jgrif said...

The 80's English movie, rather slight, about Jane Grey still lingers in my mind. I suspect it was intended to be a Romeo/Juliet storyline.

There were glimpses of real history. Seeing the poor from Jane Grey's carriage who had been made homeless by the enclosure of the countryside. The machinations (perhaps overdone) of her powerhungry relatives. Best, Jane Grey's non acceptance, stubbornly blunt, of the authorised Church until that time. 'But, sir, it is only bread and wine.'

A view of thinking Protestantism that lingers in one's mind still today.

I note that Google shows a disapproval among Helen Bonham Carter's fans for the piece. Perhaps the film is shallow in comparison to the portrait of your reading, but I recall its youthful idealism as appealing.