Tuesday, March 21, 2006

"That cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion..."




Just a quick note to say I've not abandoned ship.

I'm just busy with everyday necessities and trying my best today to carve out a few hours to finish The Last Full Measure by Jeff Shaara. This 550 page book has taken longer than I wanted to get through but I'm within sight of the finish line now---April 9, 1865. The surrender formally took place on April 12, so three days in these next 80 or so pages will be rather detailed, I assume. It is a fantastic book. If you've not read it, don't start with it. You must begin with Shaara's Gods & Generals, followed by The Killer Angels, then The Last Full Measure.

Throughout my daily necessity routine, I've been thinking about these gray days. Yes, it is gray and rainy and cold today. Springtime weather is on pause. But the gray that has been on my mind has been the gray area in which the world seems to be journeying. Recent conversations have been centered around the confusion that seems to be broadening in our lifetime. What once was unquestionably right or wrong, black or white, is now in a confused state of gray. That once fine line is now thicker. Confusion seems to be gaining strength.

Maybe a later post will finally evolve from these thoughts.


1 comment:

Carol in Oregon said...

Nice to hear from you Janie. I'm heading down the home stretch of Herodotus with about 100 pages left. It doesn't capture me like Shaara's writing (and more current history) but I'm soldiering through.

I'm interested in your thoughts on gray.