Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Failing Fat Flush



A couple of weeks ago, Donna at Quiet Life revealed she was embarking on the Fat Flush diet. Seeing her success at this made me think this might be what I needed to jumpstart my stalled Weight Watcher journey.

So, I checked the Fat Flush book out of the library and scanned / read it at the beach. The plan begins with two weeks of induction which eliminates sugars, caffeine, and starches. I thought surely it was do-able for two weeks, and I’d just take it a day at a time. Little did I know how the elimination of caffeine from my day would affect me. My coffee intake has diminished to about 2 cups per day since Christmas, but I do drink some tea and diet Dr. Pepper, so I really didn't think I was ingesting that much caffeine.

Yesterday, I began Fat Flush. By 11 a.m., I had the most awful headache. Iif I’d not known it was due to no caffeine, I would have thought I was having a stroke. The headache let up some with Tylenol but returned in the afternoon. I couldn’t even read when I laid down. My sister said it sounded just like the migraines she gets.

To top it off, I had to cook my meals rather than eat an easy Lean Cuisine or let my darling fix me something. Maybe I failed to plan well (very likely), but I’m so sick of mushrooms (that I normally love) and eggs I thought I would rather go hungry than eat them again. Now, remember, this is only the end of day 1! But the scales shows a decrease of 7 pounds since Sunday night. I'm sure it's mostly water weight.

Day 2 arrives and I am determined to continue. At least I got my walk in and ate and drank the regimen until lunch. No headache and only a little lethergy or laziness–it was hard to tell because today was unusually hot in the 90s. But by 4:30 pm, the headache came back with a vengeance, and I laid down and slept for a while.

Luke, our 20 year old, said he was going to make supper, one of his favorites–hamburgers and homemade, deep-fried french fries. That sounded great to me because I would not have to take care of anyone else’s meals but mine.

When I got up at 6:30 pm, the wonderful aroma of those homemade french fries floated right up my nostrils and made my mouth water. I walked downstairs, mentally trying to decide what I was going to fix for my dinner, when I see two nicely garnished hamburgers sitting on a plate.

Now these hamburgers were fixed like a man fixes them. And they looked delicious. But they were for my darling who was still outside working.

Then my eyes, and nose, were drawn to the counter where a nice stack of those homemade deep-fried french fries were awaiting placement on my darling’s plate.

Oh, I just had to have only one french fry. Just one.

Then another.

Then I just had to have a bite, just one, of the hamburger. That would satisfy me, and I could eat something legally Fat Flush.

But no.

I took another bite of hamburger.

Then another.

If anyone saw this hamburger with missing parts, they would know it was me. And they know I’m not supposed to have it.

So...I removed that partially eaten hamburger from my darling’s plate to my own, added a few french fries and made my way to the porch swing to enjoy the taste of mustard and mayonnaise and pickles mushed together with cheese and meat. And nothing tops the taste of those fries dragged through some catsup.

I failed Fat Flush. Miserably. And in less than two days.

I don’t know if I can resume this tomorrow morning or not. I don’t know if I can stand the headache again. I don’t know if it’s worth it. But one thing I know, I have to get back on Weight Watchers and stay.

I believe the cranwater that Fat Flush emphasizes has really helped, and I don’t mind it, just not all the time. Fat Flush for me was too drastic a change all at once.

Well, my darling has come in to get his plate and has eaten; Luke has cleaned up the kitchen, and no one has said one word about the missing burger.

Maybe they don’t know.

But it sure was good!

Many good wishes to Donna and others who are on the Fat Flush journey! Please succeed where I failed.

4 comments:

Carrie K. said...

I don't think I could do the Fat Flush either. I've been on Weight Watchers since October and have lost 45 pounds, but that was all before March. I've stalled in a big way and went to meeting tonight with a renewed determination to continue on - I've got quite a ways to go. Just letting you know you're not alone!

Carol in Oregon said...

Janie, you have got me laughing, girl! (I hope that doesn't offend you.) I have been tossed to and fro thinking about the Fat Flush. The results are soooooo, SOOOOOOOOOOOO, enticing. I'm losing ever-so-slowly. I'd love to grab 15 pounds off and then go back to counting points!

I went to the library and the only nts section!Gittleman book was "The Living Beauty Detox Plan". I skimmed it over the weekend and found it too complicated for me at this period. Four seasonal plans, bazillions of unfamiliar supplements...yikes! The Fat Flush book is on hold for me.

What I've been mulling over this morning is my mindset. I'm so eager for a quick fix. However this weight loss journey is a *marathon* and I have to see it with those eyes. My sister (who lost 100 pounds and has kept 90 off) reminds me that it's a life long struggle; that losing the weight is just getting to the starting line; that keeping it off requires the same vigilance.

Don't get me wrong: I'm thrilled for those who have lost with the Fat Flush. I very well may give it a try. I'm just trying to do an attitude check and make sure I'm on the right track.

Welcome home, Janie!

Donna Boucher said...

Aw Janie...I'm so sorry your headaches were so bad.

Ya know....the timing was just right for me.
A year ago I went to a all day health conference and I came away from it thinking the lady was wacko!!! That was just one year ago...
The Fat Flush came at the right time for me. (I am actually doing all the things the wacko lady said to do)

Timing.

That's the ticket.

Perhaps this has encouraged you to try a plan (WW) that suites your personality better :o)

*smile*

Donna

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»