Saturday, May 06, 2006

I love color

I love color--in the ground and in the sky.
While on walks this week, as well as watching the birds around the feeders, I've enjoyed the variety of colors of feathers.

Just this week, I've spotted killdeer, bluebirds, meadowlarks, mourning doves, goldfinches, purple finches, a red-winged blackbird, shrikes, cowbirds, robins, bluejays, cardinals, nuthatches, chickadees, juncos, titmouses, a pileated woodpecker, and the first indigo bunting of the season. I go to sleep at night hearing the whipporwills and a couple of screech owls talking to each other.

When the birds are not a the feeders, they are camouflaged in the trees surrounding our home and filling the air with sound. Sometimes it is almost noisy.

I love the colors of the birds. My favorites are the yellow goldfinches, the bluebirds, and the rarely seen indigo buntings. Of all the birds I've seen, I would love to be able to see some orange orioles, painted buntings, blue grosbeaks, cedar waxwings, and scarlet tanagers. I've only seen one scarlet tanager ever.



The flowerbeds around the house are now decked with some color.
After hours of preparation, forty odd plants of ajuga are in half of the flowerbed.
Each divot represents a small plant.


I chose Burgandy Blush ajuga as permanent groundcover.
This is one of a few larger plants I was able to get.
Most of the others were small plants.



The old rusty wheelbarrow filled with summer color.


Blues, purples, and mauves flanked by a splash of yellow-green.
The porch planter hosts a color change this year.



A day's work. Whew!

2 comments:

Carol in Oregon said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»