Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Summer Reading Challenge




All the time this morning, I’ve been thinking about my personal Summer Reading Challenge (go to the link to sign up). I’d almost given up deciding anything the last few days because I felt so bad. Now, bring it on!

For my Summer Reading Challenge, I am pulling from my 2006 Books to Read list made in January and have added some others selections that have caught my eye since then. I doubt all will get read in the next three months, but “Nothing ventured, nothing gained.”

I plan my reading for morning and evening times, and this summer I’m adding something during the day. That will be a real challenge because I find it hard to stop and read during the day. For simplicity’s sake I’ve listed morning books first, followed by evening ones with no obvious division between them.

June:

Throughout the summer, and until I finish it, I’m reading / listening to The Brothers Karamazov (Dostoevsky)
If I make it through this book, I will really feel like I’ve accomplished a major feat this summer.


Wisdom and Eloquence: A Christian Paradigm for Classical Learning (Littlejohn & Evans)

High-Energy Teaching (Buckalew)
These two books are in preparation for the Society of Classical Learning Conference I plan to attend in late June because all the authors will be speakers.

Glory and Honor: The Musical and Artistic Legacy of Johann Sebastian Bach (Wilbur)

Chosen by God (Sproul)


To See Every Bird on Earth: A Father, a Son, and a Lifelong Obsession (Koeppel)

finishing The Real James Herriot (Wight)


Every Living Thing (Herriot)
Somehow I missed this final volume years ago when I read the other four.


July:

The Character of God (Sproul)

The Day I Became an Autodidact (Hailey)

Nine Days a Queen (Rinaldi) I love juvenile historical fiction and biographies and had planned to add more this summer, but “Too many books, too little time.”

The Intellectual Life: Its Spirit, Conditions, Methods (Sertillanges)


Bryson City Tales / Bryson City Seasons / Bryson City Secrets (Larimore)


Sweetgrass / Skyward (Monroe) These two books, and The Beach House for August, are recommended favorites of my sister. She loves to read fiction about the low-country of the South Carolina coastal area–where we like to spend time at the beach.

August:

A Place to Stand: The Word of God in the Life of Martin Luther (Veith)

Cultural Literacy (Hirsch)

Talk to the Hand (Truss)

Tides of War – A Novel of Alcibiades and the Peloponnesian War (Pressfield)


A Walk Across America (Jenkins)

Zapp! The Lightning of Empowerment (Byham)

Lessons from a Sheepdog (Keller)


The Beach House (Monroe)

There you go! Books are all set out and waiting, and probably some of them will still have unturned pages in September, but I’m off to read right now.

2 comments:

Carol in Oregon said...

Here's another one for the list of our parallel interests: I started reading Herriot's Every Living Thing this morning. I missed it, too. The first few chapters were lovely. What do you think of his son's biography?

I ordered the book on Bach yesterday - I have all the other books in the series.

I remember so clearly the summer I read the Brothers K. My sister had given me a book and I refused to pick it up until I had finished TBK. I had toddlers and I remember them splashing in the pool as I read about baptism. That's a summer's worth of reading right there!

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»