Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Synthesis, again, sort of


On TWTM message boards yesterday, someone asked for reading books pertaining to the War of 1812. Another instance of interesting timing. For several weeks, I've finally (after twenty years) gotten around to compiling my list of tried-and-true historical reading books to augment history. A Circle of Quiet recently wrote to ask about books for a certain period, and I thought, wow, how did she know I'm working on just that! (It's coming, Diane!) It's that synthesis thing again.

Then this morning, I decided to peruse Amazon's book suggestions for ages 9-12 for the War of 1812. Two selections came up that looked interesting: Little House on Boston Bay and On Tide Mill Lane.

While all this was going on in one window, I was blog-reading in another. Semicolon, who always has great posts about children's literature, mentions Melissa Wiley, author of those Little House books listed above. Of course, I'm sitting here amazed at this synthesis.

I trip over to Melissa Wiley's site and find that she not only is the author of number of books for children, but she has a delightful blog. And she lives in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains too, just further north than I do. And she homeschools. Synthesis, big time! So, I've listed Here in the Bonny Glen in the sidebar. I think I'm going to like it there!

3 comments:

Circle of Quiet said...

No hurry, Janie...I am just glad you are working on it.

I just found Melissa's blog, too. How fun that she is in your neck-o-the-woods.

I love how life meanders, curls back around to pick up something else, meets up with a person or an idea, and it all gathers together to make such sense. God's ways...

Love,
Diane

Sherry said...

Thanks for the kind words. I like Melissa's blog, too, very much.

Justin Morgan had a Horse is a good historical fiction book set around the time of 1812. It seems as if I had another bok in mind, too, but I can't remember it.

Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»