Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Update on the school / job situation

Many thanks to those who have asked about the job situation. I've not avoided it; there was just nothing to tell. Until Saturday, that is.

My head is so tired of thinking about this job thing that I really don't have the energy this late in the day to detail it. I'm tired of thinking about it all.

After I applied for the administrator's position (which was at a local Christian, non-classical school), a position for a humanities teacher opened at the Christian classical school I've been interested in. But I declined consideration when I found out that the humanities teacher would teach logic also. Logic is not my cup of tea at all.

Since then, I had hope for the administrator's position. I had come to really want that job. I was confident I could do the job and do it well. (I do not say that in an arrogant and know-it-all way; I just know that I’ve been in training for the past twenty years and I pretty well know my strengths and weaknesses.) By April, I had not heard a word, and since I was looking at the humanities position in the other school, I wanted to know what the status of my application was so that I could pursue other avenues if their’s was closed to me. The chairman of the search committee quickly replied and said that the committee had not been able to coordinate a time to meet (and this was the second week of April!).

Finally, a letter was in the mailbox on Saturday. A letter is never good news, and this didn’t prove otherwise.

“Thank you for your interest in the position of administrator at our Christian school. After much prayer and consideration, we have decided not to consider your application any further. Thank you for taking the time and effort to contact us. We certainly wish you every success in your career search activities.”
My prayers had been for patience until the verdict was in (which I can say were granted) and for graciousness if I were passed over. Until Monday, I had thankfully had no ill feelings about not getting the job; I have tried to stay busy with and focused on other projects. But the more that I thought about it, the more I stewed about it. It wasn't that I didn't get the job; it was the curt reply received with no reason given (though they do not owe me one) after that laborious application process. I understand via the grapevine that a high school science position will open this summer. Now, I'm not sure I want to invest myself with them; I have reason to think now that our philosophy of education is not on the same plane.

I gave lots of serious but fleeting thought to starting a school. Today I rechecked the other (the classical one) school’s employment openings. This classical school is growing by leaps and bounds but is an hour’s drive away. But it is a classical school. They are adding another first grade teacher next year. I wonder if I should consider that? First grade was not in my top choices but it would allow me to brush up on some long neglected skills and techniques. And if I ever do open a school, I would begin with first grade. (Sounds like I’m talking myself into this, doesn’t it?)

A million things are raging through my mind. If I want to pursue the first grade position, I need to contact them soon. I leave for the beach in ten days for a week, so I don’t want to wait to pursue this until I get back.

Thoughts? Advice? Admonition?

Thanks again for your good thoughts, prayers, and emails. You are graciously sharing my burden and I appreciate it.

5 comments:

Carol in Oregon said...

That's a disappointment, Janie. Sigh. The Lord provides and protects. The best way I can look at a situation like this is that He is protecting you from something by not providing this particular job. I will keep praying that He will provide the right place and guide you as you make decisions.

Circle of Quiet said...

After hearing Andrew Kern, I sure would want to teach at a classical school...so my gut says head that way. An hour's drive would be daunting for me, but the classical pull might get me there.

Just my thoughts.

I'll keep praying,
Diane

cat in black said...

My grandmother taught first grade for 44 years. She always said the most important year of a child's schooling was first grade because it sets the tone for all the years that follow. A good first grade teacher can make or break a student. You, Miz Janie, would be a GREAT first grade teacher and a blessing to every six year old who had the pleasure to share a classroom with you.

Donna Boucher said...

Well, I'm with you, Janie. I don't think I would want to work at a school that would take so long to make a decision and then dismiss you that lightly.

But, of course, it is the perfect will of God :o) And that is always the best place to be!

It sounds like the Classical school might be a good choice, like you said, to get your feet wet in a more public setting.
The drive would be daunting...
but imagine the books on tape you could listen to :o)

I will pray, Janie.

Love,
Donna

Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»