Friday, August 04, 2006

Fine Art Friday



Schäferszene, Constant Troyan

I have a penchant for paintings of farmlife.

I have no idea of the English translation of schäferszene, but I'm sure Sarah at Homeschooling the Doctorate? does.

Yoohoo....Sarah....

[Addendum: I finally found out what s
chäferszene means--shepherd scene. Since Troyan is French, I figured the title was French (thus calling on Sarah for help) even though it doesn't look French to me. When I checked the translation as German, Bingo! The title makes perfect sense, doesn't it?]


4 comments:

Jeff Miller said...

Like you, I thought Troyan to be French (and there may be some French word, as well). My feeble mind was probably thinking of 'Les Troyens' (The Trojans) by Hector Berlioz.

However, in a quick search across my surrogate brain (the Internet). I found Troyan as a town in Bulgaria-home to a very old monastery.
Near Sofia. Famous for making plum brandy as well....
go figure.

Seasonal Soundings said...

Baffling, isn't it?!

Info from Columbia Encyclopedia:
Troyon, Constant, 1810–65, French painter of the Barbizon school, an informal school of French landscape painting that flourished c.1830–1870. Its name derives from the village of Barbizon, a favorite residence of the painters associated with the school; famous for his pictures of animals, particularly cows, in landscape.

I liked your "surrogate brain" metaphor!

Sarah said...

I *hate* German!!

But thanks for thinking of me.

And it's a beautiful painting. Maybe it is a scene from somewhere in Germany?

thicket dweller said...

Just found your blog via Donna's at Quiet Life. Love the painting. I, too, am drawn to bucolic scenes, as well as family scenes. I think I need to get on this "Fine Art Friday" bandwagon. I can think of some good Carl Larsson paintings to post. :-)

Nice to meet you. Stop by sometime!