Monday, October 30, 2006

Ancient Words

(listen here)

Holy words long preserved
For our walk in this world,
They resound with God's own heart
Oh, let the ancient words impart.

Words of life, words of hope
Give us strength, help us cope
In this world, where e'er we roam
Ancient words will guide us home.

Ancient words ever true
Changing me, and changing you.
We have come with open hearts
Oh let the ancient words impart.

Holy words of our faith
Handed down to this age.
Came to us through sacrifice
Oh heed the faithful words of Christ.

Holy words long preserved
For our walk in this world.
They resound with God's own heart
Oh let the ancient words impart.

We have come with open hearts
Oh let the ancient words impart.
(Lynn DeShazo)


At our yearly community hymn sing, one church sang this piece.

From the first two measures of piano introduction, I turned to my husband and said that I loved this piece.

That was before I heard the words. I love it more now.

A quick search this morning found that Michael W. Smith has sung this song. The link above is a clip of his.

The music is simple with an Appalachian feel. The words are simple.

What a perfect meditation hymn to use prior to Scripture reading every Sunday.


2 comments:

Dana said...

Very nice tune and words. I will keep an eye open for this song. Yesterday at our church I was taken with a particular song, Gethsemane.

Dana in GA

Carol in Oregon said...

We sing this song regularly at church.