Saturday, November 04, 2006

Autumn Reading Challenge update

I cannot believe it is November! It seems like September just began.

I knew this would be a difficult season to keep up with reading, but I had high hopes anyhow.

My Autumn Reading list was more than I could chew this time. I have been reading and reading as much as I could. Weary after early risings, I would long to fall into a warm and comfy bed for several hours of reading time at night. And then promptly fall asleep after only a few minutes of reading. So conquering my list has been slow-going.

My lists rarely go unamended. New books that strike my fancy come along that get moved to the top of the queue. And circumstances happen that cause me to "need" a certain kind of book at a certain time.

So far this fall, I finished

The Intellectual Life (Sertillanges)
William the Baptist (Chaney)
Jayber Crow (Berry)
Chosen by God (Sproul)
William the Baptist (Chaney)
Teacher Man (McCourt)
Peril and Peace (Withrow)
Talk to the Hand (Truss)
I'm really disappointed that I haven't had the time to listen to the audio Moby Dick like I had hoped. But there's always next time!

With the remaining few weeks, I hope to finish a few more. The semester is not over until almost Christmas and the workload only seems to be increasing. About mid-semester, it seems that professors start to believe that their class is the only one the student is taking and increase the workload as such. I have to admit that recently I have wished I had not taken this on. Except for the internship experience, it just has not been worth it.

Back to the reading challenge, does anyone think you might be up for a Winter Reading Challenge for December, January, and February?

7 comments:

Carrie K. said...

Sure - I'm up for it. So is the Autumn Challenge done at the end of November? Or on the last day of autumn, which is around Dec. 20th or so? Just curious. I bit off more than I could chew, also.

SeasonalSoundings said...

Thanks for pointing that out, Carrie!

I work better with whole months, and I just call it by the prevailing season.
So, the Winter Reading Challenge would start December 1 through the end of February.

More later this month!
Janie

Carrie K. said...

I figured that's what you intended - I was just trying to nudge for a little more time so I don't feel like I failed! I'll know better for the Winter Challenge - especially with Christmas in there.

Kim said...

I'm currently reading Chosen By God, although I've been stalled for a bit, because I bought the CDs to listent to along with the book.

I'm also interested in reading McCourt's book. I loved Angela's Ashes and 'Tis.

Dana said...

Glad to hear that your list changes....as does mine. I am keeping up with parts of it and failing miserably in other areas. But I guess that's what the challenge is :) All that to say, I will set up a Winter Challenge, but it probably wont start until January....so I can include my Christmas gifts.
Dana in GA

Ruth Rachel Vendsel said...

Likewise! I would love to do a Winter Challenge, but wouldn't start a new crop o' books until January, either. My autumn reading is going to take me through the end of 2006.

Lynne said...

I'm ready for the challenge, Janie. I just posted my own wrap-up for the Autumn Challenge and am beginning to compile my list for winter. I'll simply add my Christmas books to the list on 26 December. I added lots of books to the autumn list, so why not to the winter list, too?

I found it fascinating to compare what I'd planned to what I actually read, and the challenge did help me a bit when it came time to start something new. I was more likely to pick up something I'd listed. Will you post recaps from everyone the way you posted participants' lists at the beginning of the challenge?