Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Bountiful Table


(collage by Vero)


Our Thanksgiving Menu

Turkey breast with turkey gravy
Brown sugar cured ham
Sweet potato casserole
Corn pudding
Twice baked potatoes
Green beans
Asian noodle salad
Cranberry salad
Pumpkin knot rolls
Pecan pie
Apple pie
Apple pie ice cream
Iced tea
Coffee


My mom is bringing the corn pudding, twice baked potatoes, Asian noodle salad, and two pecan pies; my sister is bringing the apple pie and my mom; and I’m in charge of the rest.

Over the years, I’ve learned to try to do most everything the day or two before. So, today I’ve cooked the turkey and ham, sliced them and arranged in baking dishes to warm tomorrow. I cooked the green beans, made the cranberry salad, and assembled the sweet potato casserole minus the topping. Tomorrow I’ll make the rolls hopefully to come out of the oven just in time to set on the table.

Feast time begins at 1 pm.

For all Seasonal Sounding readers, endeavor to have a thankful heart and spirit.
Enjoy the company and the food!


Cranberry Salad

1 package cranberries, chopped (I freeze these and put them into my food processor to chop while frozen. The noise will wake the dead.)
2 medium navel oranges coarsely ground with skin
1 16oz can crushed pineapple, drained very well (I squeeze the residual juice; too much juice causes the salad to not congeal well.)
1 cup sugar
1 6 oz package jello (cranberry, strawberry, or raspberry)
1 cup water
½ cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
½ cup finely chopped celery (optional)

Mix cranberries, oranges, pineapple and sugar together. (Add pecans and celery here, if you use them.)
Heat water to boiling, remove, and add jello. Stir to dissolve.
Add jello and water to fruit and mix.
Pour into dish or mold to congeal.


Sweet potato casserole

2 tall cans yams, drained
1 cup sugar
½ cup butter, melted
4 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup milk or cream
1 tsp vanilla

Topping

2 cups brown sugar
1 cup flour
2 cups finely chopped pecans
Mix together until evenly distributed.
Melt ½ stick butter and pour into sugar/flour mixture.
Stir until all is moist.
Sprinkle onto casserole and bake.

With mixer, combine all and mix till smooth.
Pour into buttered casserole dish.
When ready to bake, sprinkle on topping.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

1 comment:

Dana said...

Yummy menu! and thanks for the recipes :) My kitchen was bustling with all five of us in the kitchen off and on all day getting ready for a 6pm seating.
I am pleased that I have enough leftovers for Sunday dinner. In fact, I dont think I'll have to cook before Monday.
Blessings from GA, Dana