Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Dancing backward

Something I read this morning hit home.

How many times do I just plain not feel like doing something I'm commanded? Like pull my lazy self out of the bed on Sunday morning? (Keep the Sabbath, for it is holy. Ex. 31:14) Like turn the television off rather than continue to watch immoral antics? (I will set no worthless thing before my eyes. Ps. 101:3)

From The Problem of Pain, C. S. Lewis:

"One of the things intrinsically good is that rational creatures should freely surrender themselves to their Creator in obedience. The content of our obedience --- the things we are commanded to do --- will always be something intrinsically good, something we ought to do even if (by an impossible supposition) God had not commanded it. But in addition to the content, the mere obeying is also intrinsically good, for, in obeying, a rational creature consciously enacts its creaturely role, reverses the act by which we fell, treads Adam's dance backward, and returns."
And

"Human will becomes truly creative and truly our own when it is wholly God's, and this is one of the many senses in which he that loses his soul shall find it....When we act from ourselves alone --- that is, from God in ourselves --- we are collaborators in, or live instruments of, creation: and that is why such an act undoes with 'backward mutters of dissevering power' the uncreative spell which Adam laid upon his species."

How often do you hear someone say, "Well, if your heart's not in it, you really shouldn't (attend worship service, watch/read immorality)?" Those who say this seem to use this reasoning to excuse obedience.

If I waited until "my heart was in it," I might be waiting a long, long time. And, you know, it seems to me that when I gird up my loins and submit, when I do what I'm commanded, my heart is warmed. Through the very act of doing what I don't want, by dancing backward, I want to obey.

1 comment:

Jean in Wisc. said...

Well, if my heart had to be in everything I did, there would be a lot of changes in my life! Walking through the muck to check on cattle is one thing that would definitely get crossed of my list. LOL!

I keep getting referrals on my Sitemeter from you. Had to stop by--

:-) Jean