Monday, November 13, 2006

Quick notes

[Addendum: The link is fixed now to MMV's "Twenty Minutes a Day" post. I have learned that I cannot prepare a post in Word with links and then cut and paste into Blogger without them messing up. Therefore, go to MMV now and read, no--memorize, this poem!]

After another full weekend, this week started off with a one-to-one student-professor “Tell me all you know about multiple intelligences” session presented in any form desired. I did my second in a lifetime PowerPoint presentation and aced it. At least, according to him. I thought it went really well, too.

Then I trekked off to the largest nearby city 45 miles away, to the classical school I hope to teach in next year, for the first of four days of observation. Today I was in 4th grade; tomorrow, 6th; Wednesday and Thursday, 8th and 9th.

I was very impressed. After having completed 40 hours in the 2500 student public high school, the difference in noise level alone was stunning. This school, which has 200+ students, was soooo quiet. Even when the kids walked down the hall to lunch it was quiet.

These 4th graders are doing some amazing work. Even though I saw a lot of this as I homeschooled my four children, it was something different to see a classroom of kids doing it all at once.

I’m kind of divided right now about whether I want to teach 4th grade next year. This school that I’ve wanted to teach in for a long time has a 4th grade opening for next year. After observing in the other classes, I think I will be able to make a better decision. While I like 4th grade, I have always thought I would prefer 7-8-9th grade. But they do have an opening for 4th. That makes a difference.
______________________________

Many, many thanks to you who have left such nice comments. Thank you! I do intend to reply after I get through this week. (Next week: no school. All week long!)

Mindy, I did share with the 4th grade teacher today about Peril and Peace. She was so excited!
______________________________

For those of you who might not have seen Mental Multivitamin’s post today, hop on over to read “Twenty Minutes a Day”. This poem should be parent memory work.
______________________________

Glancing through today’s heavy mail delivery and tossing into the trash junk mail and unwanted catalogs with nothing I want or need in them, my eye catches this.

I don’t need it. I have several that do the same job. But I want it. I like the color. I like the pockets. And I like what it is for.

Oh, the temptation is strong. So very, very strong.
Excuses are forming in my mind with reasons why and how I could use this.
Catalog is in trash. But item is bookmarked.

4 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

I think the bag should be a reward. When you 'get the job' or finish the semester...buy yourself a reward gift.

It makes perfect sense to me.

Anonymous said...

Where did you see this? I love it!! Post it on WTM! Smiles!!

~Holly from WTM

Carol in Oregon said...

Congratulations on the PowerPoint. I'm reading a book right now and I think of you with every page turn. No, every new paragraph. "Janie would like this book."

I'll post soon. The bag *is* quite nice. It is so much more attractive with the pockets, etc. full of stuff than if it were empty.

Poiema said...

I do love teaching 4th graders. They are transitioning into more complex work, are beginning to reason intelligently, and are still relatively unaffected by adolescent moodiness.
Wish we had a classical school in our area. I am envious! I look forward to hearing more about it as you approach decision time.
Best wishes,
Poiema