Thursday, November 16, 2006

A Reader's Prayer

As I wrap up school papers and projects to enjoy the Thanksgiving week and new books, as I finish up this year's reading list and plan next year's list, may I keep in mind these words--



“Leave me not, O gracious Presence,
in such hours
as I may today devote
to the reading of books or of newspapers.

Guide my mind to choose the right books
and, having chosen them,
read them in the right way.

When I read for profit,
grant that all I read may lead me nearer to thyself.

When I read for recreation,
grant that what I read may not lead me away from thee.

Let all my reading refresh my mind
that I may more eagerly
seek after whatsoever things are pure and fair and true.”

John Baillie


1 comment:

Carol in Oregon said...

Getting the journal out. What a lovely quote and a wonderful picture for Fine Art Friday.

I hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving and a well deserved rest.