Saturday, December 23, 2006

It Doesn't Take a Genius


It Doesn't Take a Genius
McCutcheon and Lindsey

Subtitled "Five Truths to Inspired Success in Every Student," It Doesn't Take a Genius is written by two forensic educators. Forensic in the speechmaking, Toastmasters sense, not the CSI sense.

These two men share an inspirational collection of lessons they have learned as educators. Primarily an inspiration for teachers, I can see how students, particularly forensic students, could find their own inspiration within these pages.

My copy is tabbed with several dozen flags. The author of the book’s foreward recalls the mantra of his personal mentor:
“In living, reach for the new experience; always try to play another octave of the piano.” From those early words, I knew the book would have benefit. And when author Tommie Lindsey mentions Marva Collins in the first sentence of his first chapter, well, I was sold.

Here are a small handful of flagged quotes from the book:
“It is amazing, the transformation that takes place when you encourage students to find their identity. Not only do they begin to realize who they are, they enthusiastically take it to the next level, focusing on that newfound knowledge. They begin to map out their futures. “ (page xvii)

“The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.”
(Maureen Dowd, quote introducing page 7)

“Like I always say, there’s no
I in team. But there is a me if you jumble iti up.” (Dr. Gregory House, “House,” quote introducing page 47)

“I believe learning words and their meanings allows students to grow far beyond their expectations. Therefore, I stress vocabulary development in my classes, Understanding words frees the mind of a child from ignorance.”
(page 119)

“The education of a child should be a sampling process. If passion for a particular activity develops along the way, honor that. But gently prod the child to pursue other possibilities at the same time.”
(page 214)

“Students must learn that the love they have for what they do should not be at the expense of others. Passion without compassion is meaningless.”
(page 239)

For all educators, this book has a wealth of advice and encouragement. For those involved with forensic students, this book is a must.



1 comment:

Patti said...

Janie, I haven't read very much of this book which I bought several weeks ago, but I've enjoyed what I read.