Sunday, April 29, 2007

Sabbath rest and refreshment


O God, I crave Thy blessing upon this day of rest and refreshment.
Let me rejoice today in Thy worship
and find gladness in the singing of Thy praises.


Forbid that only my body should be refreshed today
and not my spirit.


Give me grace for such an act or self-recollection
as may again bring together
the scattered forces of my soul.


Enable me to step aside for a little while
from the busy life of common days
and take thought
about its meaning and its end.


May Jesus Christ be today the companion of my thoughts,
so that His divine manhood
may more and more take root within my soul.


May He be in me and I in Him,
even as Thou wert in Him and through Him may be in me
and I at rest in Thee.



(John Baillie, A Diary of Private Prayer)



No comments: