Friday, May 11, 2007

Fine Art Friday
















"A Young Boy Copying a Painting," 1660
Wallerant Vaillant
(Flemish Baroque painter)

I liked this painting when I first came across it recently. Have you ever considered why some things interest you? I did as I was preparing to post this Fine Art Friday selection. And my analysis of the why? Probably because it involves a student, a desk, paper, and a utensil to record on paper. All things paper, pencil, pen, and desk attract me. (I can spend almost as much time in Staples as I can the library or Barnes & Noble!)

When I was first looking at the painting, it was really dark. You know, many of those Flemish Baroque era paintings are dark. So I got this hare-brained idea to cut and paste the image into PowerPoint, save as a jpeg file, send to Picassa edit so I could lighten it and see what else was there, if anything.

Lo and behold! There's stuff there in the shadows! How about that! I don't know the ins and outs, but maybe there is more stuff in
lots of place than meets the eye. Now I'll be looking at what lurks in the dark.

So whether it is proper or not, I have posted the lightened image.


No comments: