Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Grammar lesson?

What's wrong with this? If you look in the sidebar, you will see "Writing Tip for the Day." This is today's tip (emphasis mine):

Treat your editors like the coach from any sports team because the editor knows their audience and only rejects writing with a good reason--even if you never learn the specifics.


Is this correct? I think it should say:
"...the editor knows his audience..."
or
"...the editors know their audience...".

Don't ya think?

And this is a "writing" tip?

Correct me if I'm wrong. Please.



6 comments:

Dana said...

I agree with you, Janie,
...singular subject takes a singular verb.

Hmmmm, should we write and tell 'em?

Dana in GA

Anne said...

Oh, I agree with you, and this is one of my pet peeves. It seems to be accepted usage these days, though.

Carrie K. said...

You're correct, of course. Wonder who writes those "tips?"

DebD said...

Okay, I looked at it from a different perspective. Who's audience is it? The editor or the writer? Shouldn't it be "...the editor knows a writer's audience..." or the "editor knows your audience..."

Grammar is not my strong point, and it's probably showing here.

Kathleen Hamilton said...

It's absolutely wrong, and I don't care if it's becoming accepted today! Agreeing with both you and Anne--and it's definitely a pet peeve of mine, too. Interetingly, the College Board (of SAT fame) still considers it wrong!

Singular subject--singular pronoun. Period.

(Okay, off my soapbox now ;-))

Carol in Oregon said...

Move over and make room for me on the band wagon. I ***hate*** this usage. It's wretched that standard English usage takes back seat to PC.