Saturday, May 05, 2007

An interview review


I have had this create page up all day. And I really have intended to review the interview in detail. But after thinking about it all day, I wonder if waiting until everything is said and done before I tell all. With that, I will wait to detail.

What I will say is this: I was left with the impression that the day went well. My interview with the head of school, at the beginning of the day and wrapping up the day, and then the department chair seemed productive. Afterwards, of course, I remembered certain things I wished I had shared. But I don't think those things will make-or-break anything.


The class went as well as could be expected. Right after lunch on a warm day was not an eye-opening time. In fact, I was a bit surprised at the inattentiveness of most of the class. I suppose that shouldn't surprise me because I found out later that the students knew the class was contrived. I came very close to acting like the class was
mine and telling them that I expected them to sit up and at least act like they were paying attention; it is a matter of respect, if nothing else. But, I didn't. Somehow I really didn't feel free enough to do that. And I didn't think that the point of teaching the lesson was about classroom management, which I can do well. Whether that makes-or-breaks my lesson cannot be helped now. I do have other things to say about that but will refrain for now.

I really do want the job. I think I could do a good job. And I want the opportunity.

Another applicant is to be interviewed at the end of this coming week. A decision is to be made in a couple of weeks. I know that I will be overwhelmed with disappointment if I do not get the job. It is very possible that I will find out right before I go to the beach or while I'm there. That is probably good. I will either rejoice or I will have time to mope around, feel sorry for myself, and get over it while nothing important will go undone like it would if I were home.

I was told that I brought "a lot to the table" and that I was in a good position because I was in the final step of the interview process. They know I want the job. Not just a job, but this job, in this school, teaching classically. They know I've prepared for years for this very time. They know I will accept, if offered.

Maybe I've told more than I should have for right now, but I've also left out many details.
It is out of my hands now and the ball is in their court.

Please pray that the Lord would be pleased to use me in that school for that position.


5 comments:

Carrie K. said...

Praying and keeping fingers crossed, Janie.

Donna Boucher said...

I will pray for just that, Janie.

Amen

Carol in Oregon said...

Still praying here, Janie! God moves in a mysterious way his WONDERS to perform. I do believe He has wonderful things ahead for you.

Circle of Quiet said...

I am praying, Janie. We all know you are a great choice for the job; we'll just have to wait and see what God's best is.

Sending lots of love,
Diane

Kathleen Hamilton said...

Praying, Janie! Please keep us posted.

I have a quibble with your new sidebar--the writing tip of the day. Today's (May 7th) entry has plural pronouns for singular antecedents! Grrr...a real pet peeve of mine :-).