Thursday, June 21, 2007

Fine Art Friday






"Summer"
Deborah DeWit Marchant


How appropriate for this second day of summer!

Though I do not stretch out on the grass to read, or anything else (I cannot abide the eensy-weensy biting and crawling insects on my body), there is an "ah" about this painting. A bit of nostalgia left over from those fresh and free summer days of youth.







In my current reading stack is some Gervase Phinn --the "James Herriot of schools," a stack by Carol Jago on teaching the classics in the classroom which is captivating, Ordering Your Private World (McDonald, a re-read), and the first book in The Oxford Chronicles trilogy (Jeschke). Plus, assorted reading in preparation for sixth grade New World history and literature.

6 comments:

Carol in Oregon said...

Oh those Jeschke books have been tantalizing me for quite some time. I read a review in World that had me drooling. What period of history will you be covering?

Carol in Oregon said...

Ah. New World History. A Beka?

Seasonal Soundings said...

A Beka is the stated text, but as I told the headmaster, I do not stick to a text. My resources are piling up on the table here and I have got to get some stuff--a plan--down on paper asap! The HM seems pleased I am not confined to the text, so I'll see how true that is. I've got to come up with a very do-able literature list to cover and want it to reflect our history and geo studies. I'll have to come up with two lists: one for high achievers and one for very average students. Suggestions welcome!

ellen b said...

Has jeschke come out with the third one?

Seasonal Soundings said...

Hi Ellen,
Yes, the third one is entitled Evasions. Have your read the first two?

DebD said...

I think you will like Phinn... such a delight. I have not heard of the others.

Love the picture. Made me go aaahhh.