Monday, June 18, 2007

A great day...

Caveat:

Never, ever
load the washer with items that potentially will throw the balance off
and then leave.

I knew better.

But I had my day planned. Determined to drag myself out of a month-long mode of sloth-and-slug, I arose early to read and have morning coffee. As the night gave way to day, I loaded the washer with sofa covers, carefully arranging them to avoid an unbalanced washer during the spin cycle. Then I don my CD player with "Great Scientific Ideas that Changed the World" and set off to walk with the anticipation of hanging the clean covers on the clothesline when I return.

The washer and dryer are housed in our large downstairs bathroom. I love this arrangement because the bathroom is large and there is plenty of space to accommodate the appliances, plus a large drying rack and a bar for hanging clothes waiting to be ironed.

As I enter the bathroom after walking, I notice the crooked placement of the washer. Then I notice a glisten on the floor. I know that glisten is not from a nice clean floor; it is from a wet floor. It is, of course, water. Enough water to wash out the lint that has collected under the washer since the last time this happened.

It was a good thing, I suppose, that I had a half-load of large, heavy dirty towels right there waiting to be washed too. They became my initial mops, making the job much easier.

I was fussing at myself for doing the very thing I knew I shouldn't do just to be efficient with my time and activities this morning.

Funny...during this mop-up stage, oldest son is leaving for work. He calls to me as he walks out the door, "Bye, Mom, I love you."

I call back, "Love you, too! Have a great day, L. Remember you are the one to make it a great day!"

I say this because he struggles sometimes with the difficulties that come from this particular boss-employee arrangement.

About the time that these words of encouragement come out of my mouth, I realize I have no problem telling someone else this, but I often have a problem realizing this myself.

Yes, in the midst of mopping up water from the bathroom floor, I can make this a great day anyway.

A great day can be one in which significant life lessons are learned, not necessarily a day absent of difficulties.

3 comments:

Dana said...

Yup! Right on!

Can't let one person (or thing) ruin one's day. They are just too precious to waste.

Dana in GA

DebD said...

Boy! did I need to hear this yesterday on the way to church.

A Servant of the King said...

Just think how clean your floors are now!!