Saturday, June 09, 2007

What are your strong intelligences?

Back in the fall when I took a couple of education strategy classes, one week of discussion was on Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences. Multiple intelligences refers to the seven (or more) ways that Gardner believes people perceive and understand the world.

I have always known that I prefer working alone as opposed to groups; I would rather read for information than play a game to learn something. This theory of multiple intelligences helped sort all that out for me; it distills for me what I always thought about how I learn. I find the whole theory intriguing. According to the quiz, my strongest intelligences are linguistic, visual/spatial, and intrapersonal.

For educational reasons, I think this can give teachers an idea of how to present content to students. Since some students learn content better with a textbook and some better with a game and some better with the content to music, it helps the teacher help the student.

The multiple intelligences quiz is purely a tool to see how we tend to learn best. It takes only a few minutes. The results are in a visual color graph. If you want to put the results into a blog entry, simply

  • click "print screen" when you have the graph up
  • go to PowerPoint and click paste
  • crop the extra (omitting this step tend to cause the image to be distorted)
  • expand to a page
  • use a textbox to "X" out your personal code if you don't want to display it
  • save in your documents or pictures as jpeg or gif so it will load on the blog page.
Then link it back in the comments if you want and comment on your results.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty neat! Both my oldest daughter and I took the quiz, and it seemed to confirm what we already suspected! We're both strong in the linguistic area and have other weaknesses--namely, we're not very nature smart or body smart!

It's a good quiz. Where do you find these things?

By the way, still praying for you for God's direction in the school situation!

Michelle Matheny said...

Janie, that last post wasn't "Anonymous"! It was me! I forgot to sign my name. Sorry!

Anne said...

Interesting. Mine is almost exactly like yours, except I was much lower on musical intelligence.

Kathleen Hamilton said...

It pretty much confirmed what I would have suspected of myself, and it's quite similar to yours. I couldn't follow your directions on how to put it on my blog, though!

When I went to Power Point, there was no option to click and paste. But then I just seem to have a Power Point viewer--maybe not the full program?

desert mom said...

Okay, I'm going to be the naysayer here. I wonder if all of these talents, bents, or otherwise can really be classified as "intelligences". It seems to give a whole new meaning to the word intelligence which used to be more narrowly defined, I believe, as having to do with cognitive ability.

I've seen one teacher friend of mine who really believes in this theory try to teach to all the different "intelligences". Can that really work in a a classroom situation? I know it is a nice idea to identify everyone's unique intelligence but couldn't this be doing a disserive to teachers who can't possibly teach to all the intelligences?

Hope I don't sound too skeptical.

Seasonal Soundings said...

Melissa, you are right. One of the controversies about MI is the use of the word intelligences. Many with whom that rubs the wrong way tolerate the word, and thus the thought, strengths. I am one of those. I prefer to think of these aspects as strengths.

And about using it in the classroom, there is no way a teacher in a traditional classroom can serve up lessons to all strengths. But I do think that it is worthwhile to know the general bent of the students, particularly if there are some who are very strong in ways that lessons are not typically presented. And then, I also think that all students should learn to adjust their radar and adapt to learning things in different ways. The most common method of delivery is linguistic but I think it is advantageous for even a very strong word-smart person to learn some thing in a nature- or body-smart way.

I really think that the MI theory would be advantageous with special ed students.

Just thoughts!
Janie

desert mom said...

And good thoughts they are, Janie. Thank you for your gracious explanations. One of the fun things about home-educating is the ability to recognize and develop the natural strengths or talents in our children.