Saturday, July 28, 2007

Polycarp




"The business of the Christian is in one sense nothing else than to be ever preparing for death." (p. 17)

"I've found that sins, once they're done have a habit of staying around. They don't just disappear after the act. Sometimes I think that sin is like a great rock from the mountains,that you have to carry on your back." (p. 71)

"Martyrdom may be a crown of glory for the martyr but it is a deadly burden for those left behind." (p. 90)

"We walk the road of grace, but it is a long, slow journey." (p. 147)

"The Scriptures will only change the mind of a man who believes them to be the Word of God." (p. 147)

. . . . .

I started Polycarp: The Crown of Fire (Newsom) months ago and stalled. Mood? Exhaustion at the end of the day? Lack of focus? Or maybe the book was just boring. I didn't know why the stall happened, but after laying it aside for a few months, I endeavored to try once more before shelving it.

And I'm so glad I did. In just a couple of days I plowed through the last half and wondered why I put it down in the first place. It surely wasn't because it was boring. Reading Polycarp: The Crown of Fire was well worth it. A brief overview of Polycarp's life would be beneficial to know first. Mindy Withrow's Peril and Peace has a great chapter on Polycarp which only entices the reader to know more about this man with a name I like to say.

Upon reading the end of the book early this morning, even after having slept only a few hours in the last few days and with a myriad of thoughts about school planning rolling around in my head like steel balls in a pinball machine, I was captivated by the dialog Newsom powerfully crafted between Polycarp and his earthly judge, Statius Quadratus. I knew I had to copy this to use sometime as a dramatic dialog. How effective, and more importantly affective, Polycarp's response to this earthly authority who demanded that he renounce his Christian beliefs. I look forward to being able to use this in the future for and to God's glory.

Consider adding Polycarp: The Crown of Fire (Newsom) to your personal, or school, reading list.

1 comment:

DebD said...

I have always loved and admired Polycarp (and the name!) as well. Reading about early Christian martyrs and saints is such an inspiration to my faith. You probably already know this, but just in case. His only surviving letter and the eyewitness account of his martyrdom are both available on the web.

Polycarps Letter to the Phillipians

Martyrdom of Polycarp