Friday, September 28, 2007

Fine Art Friday



















The Red School House, 1873
Winslow Homer

Although I don' t have time to blog much, I wanted you to know that Fine Art Friday continues in my classroom. My sixth graders spend about 10 minutes every morning with something I call their Morning Books. Each day of the week focuses on something different, and Friday is Fine Art Friday. Last week's fine art selection was Winslow Homer's Snap the Whip; this week is his The Red School House. If you notice the two paintings, the red school house is in each.

One day I will describe these Morning Books for you. I turn on good music, keep the door closed, and have a Music Rule: if you cannot hear the music, you are too loud. The kids chide each other with the Music Rule. Since incorporating this Morning Book activity, I have seen an obvious positive difference in the climate within the classroom. More later.....hopefully!

3 comments:

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I LOVE that picture.

I had to stop in when I saw your title go "bold" in Bloglines, just to say hi. :)

Carol in Oregon said...

Hooray! I've been flagging on FAF, but want to pick it up next week. It is good to focus on art. And I think Winslow Homer is my favorite artist now thanks to you.

Funny story: when you first introduced Winslow Homer I nodded to myself and thought that we even had a book dedicated to his art. Wrong! It was Whistler that I had!! Duh!

I'm eager to hear more about Morning Books when you have time.

Donna Boucher said...

Yay!
Fine Art Friday lives in the classroom.

Do you think the students might like to do the Friday's Feast too?

he he

You can make up your own questions :o)