Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Literary Study Bible




I waited patiently.

It arrived.

I love it.

But I have no time to use it.

Yet.



The Literary Study Bible


We are studying the Reformation in World Studies. So, twice today -- to and from church-- I listened to Max McLean give a short history on Luther's historic stand. McLean ends the audio by reading Luther's exact words,
"Unless I am convinced by proofs from Scriptures or by plain and clear reasons and arguments, I can and will not retract, for it is neither safe nor wise to do anything against conscience. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen."

How little did Luther know the outcome of his stand. How he persevered. How he unknowingly provided a fine example of strength in the face of uncertainty. When you study the Reformation, avail yourself to Max McLean's wonderful resource, Here I Stand.


I have long loved Luther's famous battle hymn of the Reformation, "A Mighty Fortress is our God" and knew it was based on Psalm 46. But, I did not know until today the circumstances under which he wrote it.

Luther's favorite Psalm was Psalm 46. During the dark days of what we now call the Reformation, times that Luther must have been conflicted toward the many avenues of response, he became very discouraged and depressed. During these times, he would turn to his dear friend Philipp Melanchthon with the suggestion to sing together the forty-sixth Psalm, sung in Luther's own version. We know that today as "A Mighty Fortress is Our God."


3 comments:

Kathleen Hamilton said...

My Literary Study Bible finally arrived a couple of days after my birthday! I am so happy with it.

McLean's material sounds fascinating, as does the story of "A Mighty Fortress" (one of my favorite hymns, too).

I'm so glad things are going well for you! Bless you, my friend.

Writing and Living said...

Words of Delight by Ryken is set to be my next Amazon purchase. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the study Bible.

DebD said...

I was thinking about you yesterday. Hope all is well.