Sunday, January 20, 2008

Captivated by a romance

I almost choke when I say I am reading a romance. Especially when I say I am thoroughly enjoying it. Then I feel I must explain. Reading romances is just not my preferred genre. At all. Period.

But, this one is different.

Last year, or maybe it was the year before, I bought the trilogy "The Oxford Chronicles" because it was a story built around the time of C. S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkein in England. That's the only reason I bought these books. And I had no earthly idea that the plot centered around a love story. There is lots of easily accessible and interesting information about Oxford and Cambridge and Lewis and Tolkein conveyed in this wonderful story of two believers seeking to live and love the way God has designed.

Inklings (Jeschke) is very easy to read and I wish I had more time to devote to it. I plan to finish it tonight so I can start its sequel, Expectations. The final book of the trilogy is Evasions.

The book is a pleasant surprise and one that I would highly recommend to teenagers. Because the story is captivating, it has the potential to convey the lovely message of courtship and sexual purity that often falls on teenage deaf ears.













For a kind-and-gentle, easy bedtime book, I think you will really enjoy Inklings and its sequels.

3 comments:

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I loved all three of these books.

I also don't read many romance novels. Come to think of it, I haven't read any in a long time.

These are different. They made my heart sing. :)

Glad you got a snow day!

magistramater said...

These books have been on my radar since they were first mentioned in World magazine.

I just finished Inklings and enjoyed it. Thanks for the nudge!

Blessings,

Carol, who misses you and doesn't forget your influence

Laurie said...

I am visiting your page and wandering through the posts -- these books are now on my to-read list! Blessings, Laurie