Sunday, January 13, 2008

Our new classroom prayer

At the beginning of school, I fixed a devotional prayer to each student's desk. Each morning after devotions we prayed this prayer. It took three months of use to learn it.

After Christmas, I decided to begin a new prayer. The one I chose is an old Puritan prayer. And it is long. But I know we can do it by working on one section each month.

Surprisingly, the students didn't fall out with shock at the length. Instead, they seemed rather appreciative.

Here is the prayer, broken into the parts. I feel privileged to be able to offer this to my students.















2 comments:

LaurieLH said...

I love the beauty and the intent of this prayer -- may I copy these?

Ann said...

In my opinion, this prayer is so wrong in so many ways. I'm glad it's working for you -- but evil hearts? That's what drove me out of the church (at age 16 -- not so far removed from your students) for 21 years. Being especially nice to "men?" (I assume that's what you meant here) -- first of all, that's outdated by about 40 years -- "men" hasn't referred to "all people" since at least the 1960s. And being nice especially to my fellow Christians? Sounds like the Pharisees to me -- it's certainly not something that Jesus practiced. I've been with you and your efforts every step of the way up till now. This prayer just isn't good. Sorry to be so critical, but our God is a loving, inclusive God who created us in God's image. Evil hearts and exclusivity just won't do -- not in my theology, anyhow.