Sunday, January 27, 2008

Tomorrow is the day!

Tomorrow is the day for my classical education presentation to the administrative committee composed of the Headmaster; Administrative Assistant; head elementary, middle, and secondary teachers.

My "script" and Powerpoint are ready but not rehearsed. This past week has been a flurry of activity in fifty different directions and my mind feels like the overcooked Risi Bisi I made this weekend -- mush. Tasty, but mush.

I found out on Thursday afternoon when this presentation was scheduled. It is
also the day that I have to take off part of the day from school to travel in the opposite direction and take my mom for an orthopedic appointment for her broken ankle. Thankfully, the appointment is the first of the day and I plan to scurry back down the mountain afterwards and on to school.

You know, I feel a great responsibility toward my classroom of children. I just don't feel able to "leave" it, to turn the complete day over to a substitute. Maybe I'm such a control-freak that I cannot "leave" it. But getting together plans for a substitute is a chore. And I don't feel that I can "miss" a day of instruction in giving the substitute some limp plan of time-fillers. So I'm going to school as soon as I finish at the doctor's office. When a few of the slacker-teachers heard this, I took ribbing that did not cease until they left school. But they do not realize the other reason I need to get to school--the meeting. Clearly, these are not teachers that will easily fit into the faculty of a classical school.

After the presentation, those present are going to mull over the content until Friday when they meet again. I've been told to expect questions this week as they try to understand the classical model and how it might work here. If they want to pursue thinking toward classical, I am also told that it is possible they might pull in a few other teachers and let me make the presentation again on
Friday.

If you are a praying person, I would covet your prayers Monday afternoon between 3 and 5 pm EST. Please pray for clearness, conciseness, and persuasiveness. I'll update as I know something.

I have copied and printed informational articles to assemble into packet folders so that the participants will have something to leave with and read over.

Life and school continue and my classes still require preparation for the week. My mind feels like it is going to burst. I dream about all this and wake breathlessly that I've forgotten something.

Please remember me this week. To me, this is synonymous with a mountain climber reaching his first pinnacle. Either the climber will back down with disappointing under-achievement, or it will be exhilarating to see the next pinnacle to strive toward.


4 comments:

ukrainiac said...

DEFINITELY will pray for you...

Anne said...

I'll pray for you, too!

Kathleen Hamilton said...

I'm sorry I didn't notice this until today! I will continue praying for the whole process!

Jackie in AR said...

Janie, I'll be looking for an update on how everything went this week.