Friday, March 21, 2008

Spring break

I find it hard to believe (really, not the cliche, honest-to-goodness hard to believe) that spring break is here. And for a whole week! Yippie!

I took off the day before we got off since I was giving tests anyway and traveled to Pennsylvania to visit my sister. We usually do this between Christmas and New Year's, but this year I was just too exhausted. So I decided to take my trip for a few days of my break.

Originally I planned to leave all things school behind, but since I left from school, I had all things school in the car with me. Now they are in my sister's house with me. I did spend the first day in total abandon with Robin Cook's Critical. But all things school is just in my blood. I dragged out the two history books and mapped out chapters for this final stretch of the year. I would love to have all the reading guide pages completed by the end of the break, but that would happen only in my dreams.

My days are full with little left for anything else. I still fall asleep with whatever I'm reading after only a few paragraphs. My routine has definitely changed this school year. I still love what I do, but I miss certain favorites. I miss bloggging. I miss visiting my friends' blogs. Mostly though, I miss reading. I hope that with all the work equity I'm putting in now, it will pay off later with more "me" time. With my schedule locked in for next year, I doubt there will be much "me" time then. In the eight scheduled periods, I have sixth grade history and English, seventh grade history and English, lunch, eighth grade history and English, and planning.

If things go as I hope, I will teach three different historical periods. It will be good for the school to get on this tract but difficult for me. I've tentatively chosen new spelling texts and new English grammar texts (both Rod & Staff). The quandary now is deciding about history.

I would love to use Genevieve Foster's books as a spine for some of the history, especially for sixth grade. Her books are so interesting that the kids would benefit from exposure to her. I am sort of lukewarm about using Veritas Press history cards. I would like some a little more structured that those are. Rod & Staff has impressed me with their sixth grade Latin America book as compared with the Abeka that is currently being used. These decisions need to be made by sometime in June for me to get a good start on planning.

For now, I'll settle for Robin Cook, some HGTV and Discovery Health. Maybe I'll take some time to put up the new seasonal banner at the top.....Maybe.

Welcome spri
ng wherever you are!

4 comments:

DebD said...

I don't work outside the home, but still find myself falling asleep after less than a page! I don't know what I'd do if I had to go back to school.

Have a restful break.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

It is so good to "see" you again. Let us know what you think of the book you mentioned you are reading.

I used four of the Foster books for history two years while homeschooling. Christopher loved them and I thought they were so much fun to read.

Carrie K. said...

May you have a blissful, restful break.

Kathleen Hamilton said...

Good to hear from you, Janie! I'm glad you have a little time off to rest. :-)