Monday, July 07, 2008

July 4, 2008

A little soldier girl in our family spent her Fourth of July here.

While there were no firework displays, the patriotism was evident. An astounding 1215 soldiers in Iraq re-uped, (reenlisted) to continue service in our country's military forces. This was the largest reenlistment ceremony since the all-volunteer service began in 1973 after the draft was abolished.

Our little soldier girl was on the security team for General Petraeus who spoke and swore in the 1215 soldiers. The ceremony took place in Saddam's Al Faw palace in Baghdad, a night photo pictured below.

Following the oath, the soldiers broke out in "God Bless America." I'd say there were a few tears shed.

Here is the oath that each person serving in the military takes:

"I (your name) do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to the regulations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Hooah!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Thanks so much for sharing that. It warmed my heart. My dad just got back last year after volunteering a second year in Iraq (National Guard). Blessings on your Soldier Girl.

StephieK said...

Janie, I have been away from your blog for a while now but am thrilled to be checking in again. Thank you for sharing this it is really inspirational.