Thursday, January 01, 2009

2009 - Wonder where the journey will lead?

This morning began with a hot cup of coffee in bed after sleeping later.

The coffee was so good. And it was so good to stretch out my legs and twist and turn after a good night's sleep. Not having a deadline to meet and a place to go ... I could get used to this! The conversation was good, too, particularly when we get so few days of leisure together now.

Today was different than they have been in the last year. Last night I readied the beginning stage of Hashbrown Quiche for this morning's brunch, then upon arising, began sausage gravy, biscuits, and fried apples, a several pots of coffee, saving one in a carafe, so we don't run out.

You see, today I made breakfast for our family. Everyone was home and off work. All four of them. Ashley, our oldest daughter (she had to work evenings last night so she could be off today) and her husband, our oldest son Luke, our youngest Joseph, and Soldier Girl.

Soldier Girl, who has been on a year's deployment to Iraq and Afghanistan, is home. She has been in a few days....A big surprise because we thought she wouldn't be in until February or so.

Our table was crowded, the food was good, and the conversation fun, as usual. Afterward, the sisters went shopping. Tomorrow they go to get their hair done.

We are thankful for blessing this year, even the smallest ones.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Getting breakfast together and on the table is not an activity that I'm used to now. Years past, it was every day. Now, only a few times a year. For someone who details how long a task may take and plans around it, I didn't this time. At all. And it all fell together wonderfully. And on time.

My cooking has changed over the years. As the children were growing up, I made biscuits from scratch and fried sausage to make scratch gravy. Nowadays, I use frozen biscuits and sausage I've cooked, drained, rinsed, and frozen in quantities to simplify preparations. And, instead of making gravy from scratch, I now use pepper gravy mix (bought in bulk from Sam's and uses now grease) made by directions with only water and add the thawed sausage. It is just as good and much healthier.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I have spent many minutes throughout this break from school thinking about school.

What will I do next school year?

Will I be offered another contract and sign it, thus staying where I am?

Will I apply to the Christian classical school I've always wanted to teach in?

Will I make changes necessary to avoid countless extra hours for all-things-school?

Will I learn to be content and not complacent without sacrificing integrity and industriousness?

These are just some of the questions that weigh on my mind, and there are no easy answers.

I anticipate a bit of a shake-up when school gets back in session for reasons I cannot say here. I hope it happens. It needs to.

The combination of all these and the addition of an adult daughter living here for the next few months will have another type of stress.

But stresses strengthen for the purpose of sanctifying.

And for one who makes detailed plans, not knowing the twists and turns of this next leg of the journey will need an extra measure of grace.

Pressing onward!

1 comment:

Carrie K. said...

I'm so happy for you that Emily is home early - and your family is all together, if only for awhile.

I pray God gives you wisdom with your decisions about next year.

Happy New Year, Janie!