Friday, January 02, 2009

A list: What I want to do

There are so many things I would like to do. Too many, in fact, to ever do them all. I constantly wish I had more time in the day just so I could do more.

Two things I miss the most since beginning regular work over a year ago: regular reading challenges and working jigsaw puzzles.

I am a picky jigsaw puzzle worker. Only puzzles that have historic content or will fit into the decor of my home ever make it into my shopping cart. I love Charles Wysocki puzzles, and they fit into our the rustic decor. I have puzzles on the Declaration of Independence, the signing of the Constitution, the solar system.

Why I like puzzles, I don't know. I also separate the frame from the rest and, at the same time, separate the colors or picture groups within the puzzle. This makes putting the puzzle together much quicker. I like 1000 piece-ers and have been known to put one together in one day. Of course, it was a long day!

Reading is another activity that I sorely miss. I know I moan and groan about this one a lot here. I loved making my yearly lists and then breaking them down into quarterly and then monthly lists. I loved the variety of topics I would make myself read from. Having blog-browsing time during these last two weeks, I've loved reading through the many year-of-reading wrapups and seeing enticing Oh-I-want-to-read-that-book posts. The U. S. Presidents Reading Project has whet my appetite back to making those reading lists. (Thanks, Sherry!)

I am surprised at how many people do not like to make lists. Of any kind. Now I cannot function well without a list. A number of years ago, I began making lists of books that I had read. Then I started making a books-I-plan-to-read list. Those lists helped me to focus. They gave me motivation to keep going.

My little list that I posted the other day ('09 Reading) is about the best I can do now. I hope I don't fall into the trap of reading only fiction because of long and tired days. If I can order my life better, maybe my reading life will be more profitable.

I am currently halfway through Dewey: The Small Town Library Cat and find myself turning the pages rather quickly. The book is not really about the library cat; it's about the librarian who found the cat and the history of the town of Spencer, Iowa. I'm sorry, but I really don't have any interest in the life of the woman who found the cat or the history of Spencer. So, I skip through the pages and read snatches about the cat. Tonight, I'm sure I'll reach the final page.

Vacation is ending, but I need more time. With everything (expected and unexpected) that has happened over the last two weeks, I have not finished the school preparations I wanted to. Today I will finish typing the review questions I planned for all three history classes. Maybe over the Easter break I will finish the entire books. I still have lesson plans (required to turn in every Monday) to complete for next week but no enthusiasm for anything school.

I'm tired and kind of out of sorts today. Especially when I see that overnight, the neighbors' roaming horde of big dogs turned over all our trashcans (again!) and spread the plunder throughout the yard. I've avoided the pickup task long enough. Time to put on my work gloves and clean it up.

Maybe when I come back in, I will have garnered the motivation to dash out some lesson plans, straighten my office area, and encourage myself with a nice list of books to read this year.

Maybe.

3 comments:

Dana said...

Just wanted to let you know that I am so happy when I see you have a new post up!! I learn so much from you. Have a Happy New Year.

TTA said...

Ah, thank you, Dana! Posts are sure far and few between as compared to years past. I hope your New Year is rewarding and productive!

~Janie

Kristine said...

Hah, I just finished Dewey. My goodness, I can't imagine an entire book being filled with the life of a cat, especially one that lounges around the library (grin!).