Thursday, March 26, 2009

The icing on the cake

What a day this has been. Academic-wise, I've cut through the knights of the Middle Ages, Frederick the Great, and the Mexican Revolution; introduced vocabulary words adroit, maladroit, ambidextrous, avaricious, and indigence; read the adventures of Rikki-Tikki-Tavi in The Jungle Book and the struggle Johnny has to tell Dr. Warren about his maimed hand in Johnny Tremain; memorized another section of "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere" and "In Flanders Fields," and helped conduct Math Olympics. I decided the indefinite pronoun lesson for grades 6, 7, and 8 could wait until tomorrow. My brain is like some weird concoction whirled in a blender.

On top of all this, I'm in the midst of hurriedly planning of a field trip for 31 students to see TheatreWorks interpret "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere" (which my 7th graders are memorizing right now) and arranging six parent drivers to transport the students. The note that went home said that the students would need$5 for lunch. My plan was to hit McDonald's following the production because it is right across the street from the venue.

But, early this morning, a parent of one of my students invites me to bring all the students here for lunch in its Regency Dining Room
(possibly the classiest and most expensive place in the city) and a 15 minute tour of this historic hotel celebrating its 125th year. This parent is "taking care of" any additional expenses. WOW! I was, and still am stunned.

My biggest dread regarding the field trip was my one 7th graders who has given me more grief with his behavior and academics than normal people deserve. I dreaded the trip with him and knew the only solution was shackles between us and lots of duck tape. When I learned about the added generous excursion for a wonderful lunch, I wanted to decline because of this one student. You don't know how I dreaded it.

But, not long after I talked with the generous parent, I was informed that the student who would need shackling would be serving an ISS (in school suspension) on (get this) Friday, Monday, and Tuesday. Another WOW! I physically felt a wave of relief wash over me.

Yep, the icing on the cake is sweet. A nice buttercream.

As Robert Browning said (today in The Christian Almanac), "God's in His Heaven,all's right with the world."

Yessiree.
God is good.
Life is good.

This makes tomorrow's list of the Samurai and Newton & Lock, those indefinite pronouns, and vocab words poltroon, cower, dastardly and audacious make me feel right plucky (another vocab word for tomorrow).

No comments: