Friday, June 19, 2009

Rabbit Trail: Book to blog

I was reshelving some books I had pulled down to use which ended up in a big pile. I was pursuing Winston Churchill's advice:

"If you cannot read all your books, at any rate...peer into them,
let them fall open where they will, read from the first sentence that arrests the eye,
set them back on the shelves with your hands,
arrange them on your own plan so that at least you know where they are.
Let them be your friends; let them be your acquaintances
."

One of these books was The Complete Idiot's Guide to European History (Barber). Those Idiot's Guide books are so of the best books I have on my shelves. I love reading them. And I learn so much from them that won't be found in a textbook, or any other book, for that matter. Don't let that stupid title fool you. These are great books.

Anyway, author Nathan Barber's bio blurb caught me eye. He graduated from a college in Mississippi close to where I used to live. That piqued my attention.

Then it said he teaches AP European history and has a website for that. Curiosity piqued more. Need to check that out.

So, I do and poke around there a while and find he has a blog. I hop over there and find some really good stuff. His blog is now in my sidebar, "The Next Generation of Educational Leadership." What I've read so far is good. Check him out.

Churchill's advice paid off.

2 comments:

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I love that quote, it is exactly what I do with some of my books that I'm not quite ready to set aside for a real read.

I'm posting on my blog about your Summer Reading Challenge Monday morning so you may get some traffic.

I know it is late but I've had company off and on for a month and more arriving tonight (Sunday). Otherwise I would have posted it earlier.

TTA said...

Thanks, Brenda!

Janie