Saturday, September 26, 2009

Life is like a box of chocolates

Okay....so the title of this post is not original, but it seems to fit.

Life hasn't slowed down long enough for me to even finish editing our pictures for that wonderful trip-of-a-lifetime (that I want to now make yearly).

School started and I've yet to catch up. We have fewer teachers this year and all are doing more. My class load hasn't changed, but I'm trying to perfect that which I've started. Plus, I've found myself on a couple of committees that take time. Whereas several years ago, in my days at home with some semblance of self-directed self-education time, I thought in terms of days, maybe even hours, to accomplish tasks. Now, I think in minutes, and sometimes seconds. I'm surprised at how I now look at finishing a task in 3 minutes. Or how I need to save 3 minutes. They add up, just like those pennies ole Ben Franklin preached about.

Anyway, I've just finished reading a bedtime fiction book, One Second After (Forstchen), which has me adding mental notes to my mental list of how seriously to I take this plausible possibility.

In other mental avenues, I've been thinking a lot about David McCullough and watching lots of short videos online of his interviews. There is something about this man that makes me want to be a better person, a better teacher, a better citizen. I've dragged out his When in the Course of Human Events CD and loaded it onto my computer so that I can listen to it ad infinitum, and so that I can lend it to fellow teachers for the same.

Since the first of June, I've gone nonstop--using most of the summer to work on school plans, then spending almost three weeks in Europe and heading back to work three days after returning. Days have morphed together. But, next week, the Lord willing, I leave for a whole week off. My sister asked for me to do that for her. She celebrates her 50th birthday that week, and since she's single and never gets to observe her birthday other than going to work, she wanted to do this one with a week at the beach. So, off we will go next Friday. It will be a great celebration for her and a much needed time of rest and relaxation for me. One of my autumn beach reads, which was recommended by my sister, is The Help, a reflection on our own upbringing.

So, yes, life is like a box of chocolates. All the pieces are tasty, but they all offer a different texture. Such is my life--good and tasty. It just goes by too quickly.


1 comment:

magistramater said...

I feel the same way about David McCullough. Such a decent man.

I hope your week was wonderful. What a gift you gave your sister. And what a neat thing that what she wanted was time with you.

Miss you, my friend,

Carol in Oregon