Thursday, October 29, 2009

A must-see




I really wish I could remember how the book Gifted Hands by Ben Carson crossed my path in the first place, but when it did, my own children were high school age. I first pushed it on them as required reading.

Gifted Hands is Ben Carson's own story. Carson knew what disadvantaged was, but his mother knew he didn't have to stay disadvantaged. She pushed both Ben and his brother to make the most of themselves. She encouraged self-learning. What a woman!

Recently, the film based on the book came out. What a must-see! Once you see it, you will buy it. It is just that good. It will move you. It will move your children. It will move your students.

When you watch it, don't miss the special feature selection with Carson.

In February, the kids' version of the book Gifted Hands comes out. I suspect that it will become a permanent part of my curriculum.

Other worthwhile books by Carson are The Big Picture, Think Big, and Take the Risk. But if you only read one, read Gifted Hands.

And by all means, watch Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story.

4 comments:

magistramater said...

I loved the book. I didn't know there was a film. We'll check it out.

JSD said...

You will love it!
~Janie

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I thought they did an excellent job on the movie since they had to get all of his life (to a certain point) into two hours.

LOVED the original book.

Anonymous said...

I read "Gifted Hands" when it first came out and thought it was a great story. Thanks for letting us know that there is a movie as well!

Michelle in MO