Monday, March 08, 2010

You've just gotta laugh

My 7th and 8th graders have a chapter test tomorrow on pronouns. Today, I thought we'd have a big practice sentence review on pronoun and verb agreement. No way do I have time, or the inclination, or better yet, the imagination, to create a thousand sentences for them to practice through.

Google is my best friend for this. And I found a source with perfect, so it seems, sentences. A cursory glance through showed no obvious obnoxiousness. So I click and print.

Pages ready. Bell will ring in 30 minutes. Plenty of time to mark the key.

I read through the sentences, marking away. These are times that sharpen my own skills. I love it.

As I'm breezing through, I come to this sentence:

For (we, us) there is nothing like a cold beer on a hot day.
Yeah. Right. I might need one if I leave this in the handout! The practice sheets are already printed, and I'm not going to waste the paper and do them over.

Black magic marker. Nothing stirs up the curiosity of 14 year old boys more (well, maybe not more, but close) than a black magic marker. They know something's hiding underneath. And it doesn't take long for them to find it.

Yep. There's nothing like a cold beer on a hot day!

Forward to the end of class.

While reading Prince Caspian, I glance ahead to see where we might end. It's almost time for the bell.

I see the line where Peter calls Reepicheep an ass.

Oh, brother.

And it's only Monday.

Bell rings. We'll cover the ass part tomorrow.

Eighth graders. Beer. Asses.

You've just gotta laugh sometimes.


3 comments:

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

That is so funny as my daughter was just talking about British literature and the use of the word ass... and the affect it bring with her four children (giggles).

Carol in Oregon said...

What a hoot! Really funny, Janie!

Kristine said...

I can't even say the word "damage" without my 11yods finding it somehow hilarious!

Sounds like a great week, Janie!