Thursday, June 17, 2010

Providences are not coincidences for a believer

Today begins the 2010 ACCS conference in Durham. Just a two and one-half hour drive from me (much shorter than I thought), I couldn't pass it up. The agenda of seminar to choose from has me marking the conference CD list to buy since I cannot be two, or three, or even four places at once.

I came by myself, but I'm sure to meet some soon-to-be friends. I like people, don't get me wrong, but I don't mind time alone during a conference. I love the quiet of the hotel room. I love being able to focus on whatever without the distractions of laundry, vacuuming, or cooking. So I'm enjoying right now my second cup of coffee with some sharp cheese, almonds, and a banana for breakfast. Being alone at a conference means usually eating alone in the restaurant, at first, and feeling somewhat like a fifth wheel. So, to make the best out of a good situation, I bring my own breakfast to enjoy in the comfort of my gown and my morning reading. :) Perfect! Plus, I'm saving $10 to spend on some Memoria Press stuff! Same goes for lunch: almonds, nabs, and banana with flavored water so I can spend more time combing through vendor stuff. Then, tonight I'll trek out to some restaurant for a decent meal before spending some needed time typing some grammar material in prep for the upcoming school year.

This morning brought a synthesis between my readings in Nehemiah and my daily devotional. Finishing out the quick pass through Nehemiah before a deep, expositional study beginning next week, one phrase is common throughout: "Remember me, o my God, for good." Then, from Tabletalk: "By this Spirit, we are being transformed from glory to glory, and He is leading us into righteousness. Are we following His lead? Are we doing what is right even when it is difficult?...Though the Lord is always working for our good
(Rom. 8:28), most times we cannot discern how His providence will work things out. We must often make decision when there seems to be no good option or when God's Word does not have must direct information to give us. After prayer and an honest attempt to apply biblical principles, let us decide and trust that His providence will work through us even if we make a mistake."

Amen and amen.

I am not following Tabletalk's Bible-in-a-Year schedule, but did happen to glance at it this morning. Guess where the Old Testament reading is from. Nehemiah. Yes, God provides. We should not believe in coincidences; we should believe and acknowledge those providences.

Now off to a day filled with

  • "Moral Education v. Moralism" (Doug Wilson)
  • "Staff Selection and the Continuous Improvement Model"
  • "Developing the Faculty as Lifelong Learners"
  • "Answering the Call: Finding and Fulfilling the Central Purpose of Your Life" (Os Guinness)
  • "Gatekeeping: The Parent / Family Interview Process from Beginning to End"
  • "Socratic Method around the Regents' Harkness Table in the High School"

1 comment:

Carol in Oregon said...

Sigh...I'd love to join you there, Janie. It sounds like you are having a great time. Love the synthesis.