Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Not an easy task

"Of all the things which man can do or make here below,
by far the most momentous,
wonderful,
and worthy
are the things we call
books."
~Thomas Carlyle

~

"When I am dead,
I hope it may be said:
'His sins were scarlet,
but his books were read.'"
~Hillare Belloc


Spur-of-the-moment culling activity netted about sixty books off the shelves destined for the public library and Goodwill.

Some of the books are antique-y heavy hardbacks from used bookstores.

Many are those which I will never read or consult again.

Some were favorite series which I would not re-read; they simply took up shelf space.

During the culling, I came across the two quotes above that must be saved.

I hope I don't forget the people in these books. Discarding some books seems almost wrong, and passing others on to someone else almost borders on betrayal of friendship.

But, I'm sure I'll get over it.

These are not my books.







No comments: