Sunday, November 21, 2010

Instilling a love of learning

Following one of my many and usual rabbit trails, I found this quote I've extracted from Jerry Coyne's response to a response (see those rabbit trails?) to the president of SUNY at Albany for eliminating its humanities department. This quote--out of a much longer treatise at which I find myself cheering--this quote is what I aspire to be:

"The best teachers
are not the ones who instill knowledge in your brain,
but those who instill a love of learning,
making you autodidactic in their subject
for the rest of your life."

The letter is castigating, worth reading and probably needed to be said. The author, Gregory A. Petsko, makes several "take notice of" points with which I agree. Read it for yourself, and see if you do also.


No comments: