Friday, December 31, 2010

Once Blind: The Life of John Newton

Books have the strangest way of finding me. Maybe that should be the other way around. So it was with this one, but that could be another post.

After reading much about William Wilberforce in recent years with the production of the movie
Amazing Grace, I became interested in John Newton as well. I was especially interested in finding a biography about him accessible and interesting to middle school students.

Well, I've found it! Once Blind: The Life of John Newton is captivating from the first page. If you want to see for yourself, read the first chapter here. (Scroll down a bit.) I got the book just a few days ago, and have already finished it during Christmas break. This book seems to be listed as an adult book, but the writing is easily written for younger audiences. Besides, author Kay Marshall Strom has already written a juvenile biography on John Newton, and I don't think she'd write two of them. But, I've not read her juvie bio.

Strom has a gift for pulling the reader into the story. Each chapter begins with a chapter-appropriate quote from John Newton's own writings in this story of God providence! The life of John Newton, as well as those around him -William Wilberforce and William Cowper- confirm the rewards of perseverance.

I don't believe you will not be disappointed in Once Blind. If you are like me, you will be encouraged. I liked it so much that I've already ordered enough for my seventh grade students to read this spring!

No comments: