Saturday, January 22, 2011

John Bunyan

One of my goals this year is to read more biographies that I've gotten for my classroom shelves. Given that it seems to take me longer to get through a book nowadays, reading juvenile books just fits the bill.

This week I read through John Bunyan: The Tinker of Bedford (Deal) now out-of-print. I'd read another biography about Bunyan a few years back, so I'm not sure why I wanted to read this one too. But I'm so glad I did. This short 160 page book doesn't lend itself to a lot of white space on the page as most juvenile biography do. It is a thorough account of Bunyan's life told in a conversational style, and much more interesting than the previous biography I'd read on Bunyan.

The author's writing is engaging, and I found myself reading much longer into the night than is wise for a school teacher. I looked forward each day to getting back to the story every night. So I'm surprised that the book is now out of print.

Bunyan spent much of his adult life in prison for unlicensed preaching during the reign of English King Charles II. Because of his imprisonment, Bunyan wrote prolifically and is remembered today because of it. His sixty-year life is credited with sixty books penned by him.

I was reminded several times of Genesis 50:20 when Joseph's brothers realized who he was and remembered what they had done to him. "You meant evil against me, but God meant it for good." True in Bunyan's life too.

A student reading this book will be able to place Bunyan in time and space in his history studies if studying history chronologically. Plus, it will serve as background to read Pilgrim's Progress.

2 comments:

hopeinbrazil said...

Sounds like an interesting book. Pilgrim's Progress is one of my very favorite books, but I don't know much about the author. Thanks for a good review.

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

This sounds like a book I'd like to read and add to our homeschool library. Thanks for the review!